Employee vs. Independent Contractor Policies

Employee vs. Independent Contractor

All parties who perform services for the University are classified as either employees or independent contractors (aka service provider, vendor, company). The department must submit all required documents for review and determination before any services are performed or payment requests are processed.

Contract templates can be obtained from Strategic Sourcing.

If person is classified as an independent contractor then the contract must be routed through the formal approval process in CUBuyPlus.

Application Login

See Employee Classification Policy #2.2.28 which outlines the University's policy and procedures related to worker classification and payments.

Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Researcher Guidelines

For additional information contact Jason Gerlt by email at, or by phone at 402-280-2790.


To determine whether parties providing services are an independent contractor or an employee, their information must be entered into the Independent Contractor/Employee Administrative Application. Human Resources along with Legal and Finance (if needed) will make a determination of classification. We will inform the department via email communication. Please allow 3-5 business days for review.

  1. Employee: (Full-Time Benefit Eligible) Normal hiring procedures should be followed. Please log in to the HR Intranet and view the Manager Toolbox for more information on hiring a new employee. Also, review paperwork for Nebraska New Hire and/or
    Arizona New Hire.
  2. Temporary, Non-Benefit Eligible: A standard contract or letter must be approved and signed by both parties prior to beginning work. Contact Human Resources for assistance.
    Print the Checklist for Employment prior to proceeding.
  3. Independent Contractor: Refer to the Independent Contractor Instructions and contact the Purchasing Department to obtain correct contract form. These instructions and Contract Control Sheet can also' be found in General Counsel’s Forms tab.

Note: A contract is not necessary for Athletic Officials, Standardized Patient Stipends, Research Participant Stipends, TRIO Program Participants, Dissertation Team Member Stipends. Contact the Business Service Center for assistance.