Established by the Conference of Academic Vice Presidents of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities (AJCU) in 1971, FACHEX is an acronym for Faculty and Staff Children Exchange. FACHEX is an undergraduate tuition remission program for children of current full-time faculty, administrators, and staff. Through the FACHEX program, employees who have a tuition remission benefit for their children at their home institution can apply to receive the same benefit at participating Jesuit colleges and universities, should there be space available, and the student meets that school's requirements for FACHEX applicants.
For a list of participating schools in the FACHEX Program, please go to www.ajcunet.edu
It is important to realize that FACHEX awards tend to be extremely limited in number, and highly competitive. As a result, there are no guarantees to employees that they will be able to utilize the FACHEX benefit at the institution of their choice.
Eligibility requirements are determined by each institution. At Creighton University, an employee must meet the 100% tuition remission level in order for his/her child to be eligible to apply for FACHEX.
It is also important to realize that each institution sets their own rules about how students are selected to receive a FACHEX award and it is the parent's responsibility to research what is required and follow any applicable deadlines/policies. Many schools use academic achievement as a determining factor, and will only consider incoming first-year applicants.
When awarded, FACHEX covers tuition only for eight full-time semesters (fall and spring) or until the bachelor's degree is completed, whichever comes first. Any additional expenses incurred by the student (fees, room, board, travel related expenses, or books), are the sole responsibility of the student and/or the student's family.
Application Process for Eligible Employees of Creighton University
- By December 1, the Creighton University employee submits the online FACHEX application. A communication to all employees will be sent when applications are ready for submission.
- Once the parent's eligibility is confirmed, certification of the student's FACHEX eligibility is sent to the FACHEX Coordinator of the college(s) the student is interested in. Certification only means the student is eligible for a FACHEX award; it is not a guarantee of an award. If a student cannot be certified, Human Resources will notify the employee.
- The student must apply to the college(s) in which he/she is interested, following each institution's application procedures and deadlines. (It is recommended that the student or parent contact the Admissions Office or FACHEX Coordinator at the desired school(s) to see about any special admissions dates that need to be followed. It is not uncommon for institutions to encourage FACHEX applicants to apply for Early Action, so it is the responsibility of the student/parent to find out this information, and follow those admission guidelines.)
- After admission decisions have been made, the Admissions Office or FACHEX Coordinator at the other institutions(s) informs the student whether or not he/she will be offered a FACHEX award. Please be aware that decisions by each participating institution are done on their own time frame. However, most schools wait until after March 1 to award FACHEX.
- Once a FACHEX award is accepted, the employee should notify Human Resources to indicate which school the student will be attending.
- To continue in the FACHEX program, the employee must remain actively employed at Creighton in order to be re-certified to the participating institution. Every year the student is in the FACHEX program, the employee must request to be re-certified by completing the online FACHEX Application for Renewal.
Application Process for Employees of Participating Institutions With Children Applying to Creighton University
- Employees at participating universities will follow the deadline and application procedures set by the FACHEX Liaison at their home institutions.
- After the Liaison at the home institution confirms the parent's eligibility, she/he will certify the student's eligibility to the FACHEX Liaison at Creighton University.
- Beginning August 1, but no later than the Priority Scholarship Deadline (see Admissions for specific date), the student completes an application to Creighton University. FACHEX is typically only given to incoming first-year students.
- The first round of FACHEX awards will be made by February 1. The Creighton Admissions Office will inform eligible admitted students if they have been offered a FACHEX award. Eligible admitted students who do not receive an award will be placed on a wait list. Students on the wait list will be notified if a FACHEX award becomes available for them.
- Students who accept our FACHEX award will be charged an administrative fee of $1,250 per semester. Students awarded FACHEX must maintain at least a 2.3 grade point average at Creighton University and their parent must continue to be eligible for this benefit at the participating institution.