Pre-Move Task Sheet

Creighton University

University Moving Services (UMS)

Pre-Move Tasks and Moving Instructions


(Printable PDF Version)

-    In order to expedite the moving process, University Moving Services (UMS) requests that your department accomplishes the following PRIOR to the arrival of the moving crew.

Reduce what you have to pack and move

-    Purge files - - - Note:  department copies of DPR?s, TER?s and invoices can be thrown out after six (6) months to a year from date of issue.  The Controller?s Office has the original that is kept for seven (7) years.
-    Consolidate records
-    Use up inventory
-    Survey existing furniture and storage
-    Identify what needs to go to new space
-    Identify what can be returned to the University for re-allocation
-    Identify what can be disposed of

Preparing Furniture and Equipment

-    All file cabinets MUST be empty to be moved. Be sure to lock them and remove the keys.

-    All desk, storage cabinets, bookcases, credenzas, etc. must be empty to be moved. Be sure to lock them and remove the keys.

-    Leave monitor and CPU on desk, use blue tape and mark your name and room number.

-    Put all computer accessories in blue recycling bin. Mark with name and room number. 

-    In some cases, such as large copiers still under warranty, the supplier IS REQUIRED to handle the relocation to avoid warranty issues. It is your department's responsibility to contact the supplier and arrange the move. In some cases there may be a charge for this service from the supplier. 

-   If damage occurs because of failure to properly prepare the product for moving it IS NOT the responsibility of the mover, either internal or external.

-   If items are to be anchored or detached from the structure of the building, this must be identified so Facilities Management personnel can approve and assists with the plan. This may necessitate your department submitting a work order to the Facilities Management department via their website or by contacting Facilities Management at 280- 2780.

Boxes, Packing and Tagging    


-    When you acquire boxes yourself for packing, be sure they are sturdy and not too large. Remember people have to lift and move each item, the weight limit per box is NOT TO EXCEED 50 lbs.


-    All boxes must be tagged with blue tape indicating the person's name and the NEW room numbers or space that they are assigned to in the NEW location.

Ex: Jill Smith ABC Department Room 103


-   When packing the boxes be sure to use adequate packing materials.

-   The weight limit per box is NOT TO EXCEED 50 lbs. Failure to adhere to the fifty (50) pound weight limit could result in your being asked to re-pack any box that does not comply. 

-    If the box needs special handling it should be set apart from the rest of the boxes clearly marked and identified to the movers. 

-    Only two personal boxes per person.

-    If the items are personal property it is recommended you move the items yourself, especially artwork, framed pictures, figurines, plants, etc.


Department Responsibilities 

The following items are strictly the responsibility of the relocating department:

  • Updating CU directory
  • Updating department asset inventory with Accounts Payable
  • Requesting temporary recycling bins from custodial services
  • Notifying contracted services of move and requesting associated costs
    • Bottled Water
    • Coffee Service
    • Copier
    • Vending (Contact Skutt Student Center)
    • Cable television
    • Direct delivery subscriptions (such as Omaha World Herald)
  • Contacting and submitting work orders to DoIT telecommunications to reprogram Meridian phones, transfer phone numbers, etc.
  • Contacting DoIT Network to remap (if necessary) printers or servers
  • Contacting Mail Services to update mail stop information
  • Contacting Purchasing to update Banner "Ship To" information

Accounting of Fixed Assets

All fixed assets with a unit purchase cost of $5,000 or more are tagged with a University identification number.

  • After your department determines if an item is to be disposed of, left in place or returned to the University for re-allocation it is the responsibility of your designated departmental individual to complete the necessary forms.
  • If an item has been identified as being disposed of, you should contact the Purchasing Department to discuss disposal alternatives. Once the alternative is determined, an Asset Disposal Form must be completed. Note: DO NOT REMOVE the bar code University asset tag. 
  • If an item has been identified as being returned to the University for re-allocation, complete the Asset Moving Form and indicate returned to University storage from building name and room number. 
  • If an item is being left in place and is tagged be sure to complete the Asset Moving Form if a different department with a different fund and organization number will use the asset. 
  • Note: To help reduce the overall confusion, contact Inventory/Fixed Assets x1726 to obtain a Fixed Asset Inventory Listing for your area. Mark the changes in RED for the items you are keeping and re-locating to your new location. Be sure to change the building and room numbers. Attach the completed Asset Disposal and Asset Moving Forms as necessary for disposed, left or returned for re-allocation assets.